3/6/09

Competing in Design

Hey guys. Its been a little while but I have just been hella busy with school. Quarter is about to come to a close in 2 weeks, as I am now preparing to get all my pieces sharpened and printed to take to critique. I have 2-20 minute critiques this time. One is my advertising critique, which will be probably Tuesday night, and then my design critique on Thursday night. We'll see if this year's critique will go half as good as last quarters.


I also wanted to update you on a recent competition that some of my work went into. We designed 2 magazine spreads (4 pages) based on a certain subject guideline given by the hosts of the competion (SPD, Society of Publication Designers). I chose to do mine on Williamsburg, Brooklyn, which is a part of New York that is total hipster. Graffiti covering each wall and the place where young people making the move to the city may find their first home. Even though the part of town is now changing for the worse due to money, and things getting to expensive, I still wanted to design the pieces based on what WillyB was originally known as. We sent out the finished pieces this past Monday to SPD, which is in New York City. They began judging on Tuesday at noon and we will find out results Friday, March 13. So the prizes are really what perked me up to the competition. They have 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and then 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Honorable Mention. First place wins $2500, the Adobe Creative Suite, which is the software I design on, and work gets published in the SPD annual at the end of the year.

Now the biggest part of this is that the first 4 winners (1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 1st Honorable Mention) receive fully paid(living expenses covered) summer internship with a major magazine in New York City this summer. Now, those of you who know me well enough know that this is right up my alley. I worked my ass off for these pieces and spent many weeks on it. I hope to be chosen and feel really good about my work. However, if I don't, I will keep my head up and keep on working as hard as I have been. In time I know that doors will open where they need to and I will be packed and ready for those opportunities. I will keep you guys posted on any news I hear. 

I will now enjoy the rest of the weekend outside, since the weather is gorgeous. 

No comments: