12/13/10

I made it.

Its been a while since I've written into this template, but I was having withdrawals, and not to mention, I have had a million and a half things happen since I did last. So let's recap the events.

First things first: I graduated from Portfolio Center. It was great. I was very ready to finish. Check out my updated portfolio of work on EricDewyngaert.com.

Second: I went to New York for a portfolio review/celebratory weekend with my fellow graduates. It was halloween weekend, so needless to say, fun times, from what I can remember. I met some great companies, and definitely saw interest in my work, which is what is was all about. I was their from Thursday-Monday evening, and the review fell on the Friday am. I met a recruiter during who set up a meeting with me on Monday am after the review, in which there was an interest for a position. Very long story short, by the time I was La Guardia bound in an accidental stretch limo with some friends, I was considering this being the last time I am leaving New York for a while. I had landed an interview for the next thursday, which I was required to get back to Atlanta, get things in order in about a weeks time, to be able to board a flight that Wednesday back to New York. One way.

Third: I did the move. I landed a sublet on the upper west side of Manhattan with a friend throughout the end of 2010. I put all of my life into 3 suitcases, said my very hard goodbyes, and set sail for my new life that abruptly fell into place. Moving to NYC meant I was going without a job, a temporary home, no family and only a handful of friends, and all of my belongings sitting in storage in Augusta, including my Xterra that I would still be making payments on in my mother's driveway. Still, something told me to go. Years of dreaming for this, those all seamed like petty hurdles for me to figure out, at a later time.

Fourth: As I moved to NYC, I was contacted by another firm who had met me in May at the portfolio review, and again at the review in October, mentioning they wanted me to come by the office to meet some others, which at the time I did not realize was an actual interview, I would be presenting to the Executive Creative Director. I guess the unknown kept me calm. Long story short, I interviewed with both companies, and the Monday before Thanksgiving day, had found a home as a full-time junior designer at Momentum Worldwide in the lower west side of Manhattan, start December 6th. On top of that, I also received a full-time freelance week from another firm for the week prior to start Momentum, in which I made enough money to move into an apartment (paying my 1-month security deposit and first month's rent). Crazy how that worked out.

Fifth: The first week of work could not have gone any more amazing. I was received with huge open arms, friendly faces, a Herman Miller Aeron chair, and the potential to work on some amazing work. That week, I found myself with an offer for an apartment in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, which I will be moving into on the 1st of January. I am one stop away from Manhattan on the subway, and have a beautiful view of the Williamsburg bridge from my bedroom window.

Sixth: As the first week of work ended, I was starting to feel like things were becoming evident that I made the right move. On Saturday night, I received a call from a retired dentist in Augusta making me an offer for my Xterra, which was the payoff of the car, taking it off my hands. It was the biggest relief and stress reliever that could have happened.

So, I am very happy needless to say that New York City is indeed my new home. I do miss friends and family, but I am living a long awaited dream and its just as amazing as I could have imagined. I am very thankful and blessed for what has happened for me, and can't wait to see what the new year holds. Stay tuned.

Next agenda item, driving all the rest of my stuff up here. Here are some pictures of life so far:

The video is shot from the rooftop of my office building. It really doesn't do it justice.



My morning subway commute. Packed.

My friend Kristel and I in Strawberry Fields in Central park on December 8th. Cool experience

My office, well, part of it.
My desk at work.


Staying southern in the laundromat


1 comment:

MS outlook 2010 said...

Office 2010 by Microsoft Office 2010 Key using a Browser, personal computer and also mobile phone from your spot to deliver admission to Place of work papers and notes, makes it much simpler to hold effective be employed in an active business.While using the incorporation in the Microsof company this Lync a number of Office 2010 Office 2010 applications, it is possible to figure out the online position within your co-workers. Microsoft Office 2010